Monday 10 January 2011

1.Re-presenting Reality: First thoughts...

Brief.

“Produce a short  film for the IVT, which encapsulates an interpretation, or explores an aspect of perception and representation. We have primarily focused on visual perception, but you  are welcome to consider all elements within the perceptual field. Through the lecture series you should develop an understanding of theoretical foundations of perceptual development and capacity  - particularly those relating to  the embodiment in perception: biological, physical, cultural, social, and environmental factors, which are active in visual processes.”

First thoughts...

I found it hard to imagine exactly what I wanted to create for this brief because I had so many ideas but no real connectivity between them. I wanted to utilize something I have a great passion for in my project. I also knew I wanted to work heavily with audio at some point during my time on the course, so naturally I thought that this could be a great chance to.

Music is one of my biggest passions, from the intricate formations of minimal techno to the heaviness of drum and bass. Whatever the genre I am amazed that different styles of music can engage certain emotions and body language. I wanted to tap into this and create a visually provocative animation driven by a suitable audio track.

So in my mind I started piecing together what I could do and with what genre. So the next task was to look at examples of similar work, and choose the perfect song.





This is my favourite music video of all time and the main source of inspiration for choosing an audio animation. In my opinion this is such a good song and what I consider to be a truly original idea. Directed by Michel Gondry, it creates the effect of a continuous train journey using several bits of footage. However each visual element represents a different beat in the audio. It’s quite obvious that the amount of time that went into this project is substantial and something I will not be able to do. However my ideology is the same to an extent. I want my animation to be in time with the music and certain elements to react based on the bass or treble on the track.


So to keep my workload down, i knew i had to choose a minimal track.

No comments:

Post a Comment